from OCEAN PARK:
AGING QUITE GRACEFULLY
…AND THE AIRPORT….
38. Horatio West Court
140 Hollister Avenue
National Register of Historic Places
During the first third of the 20th century, the work of American architect
Irving Gill radically redefined the architectural landscape of Southern
California, by making bold use of concrete and hollow tile to create an
inexpensive tilt-wall construction system that allowed for artistic expression.
This system allowed Gill to modify the existing California mission style
into a simplified modern style. Gill was a tireless designer of small-scale,
low-cost housing projects.
39. Hollister Court, 1904-1920s
2402 Fourth St. and 2401 Third St.
An early 20th Century bungalow court consisting of 13 individual Craftsman
units, with a friendly central courtyard. Bungalow courts offered many
of a house at a more affordable price — the grandparent of garden
40. John W. & Anna George House,
2424 Fourth St.
A beautifully balanced Craftsman bungalow. Robert Winter, in his book,
California Bungalow,” explains: “The bungalow was practical,
and it also symbolized for many the best of the good life. The feeling
of independence (the bungalow) gave, even on a tiny plot of land, is part
of the freedom which even today one senses in Southern California.”
41. Merle Norman House, 1935
2523 Third St.
Just north of the historic district, this Mediterranean Revival-style
by Ellis Martin was the principal residence of the renowned cosmetics
Merle Norman. Mrs. Norman’s cosmetics business began in a garage
in Ocean Park, where she created her own line of cosmetics to help women care for their
skin and enhance their natural beauty. During the Great Depression, Norman offered
free samples of her products to neighbors, believing they would return as paying customers. Free had a lot of value during that era. Norman built a loyal
customer base. The cosmetic company is an active family-owned business today.
42. Charles Warren Brown House,
2504 Third St.
Everything you could possibly want in a turn-of-the century Craftsman
and occupied by Charles Warren Brown — a turn-of-the- century councilman
liked civic affairs, Brown also was a speculator, buying land and building
like this local charmer.
43. Merle Norman Building, 1936
2525 Main St.
This Streamline Moderne building defines this architectural movement —
clean, stylish, and dynamic with airy walkways. Uniquely appealing. Architect
H.G. Thursby distinguished the Merle Norman Cosmetics headquarters with
unique circular cupola. This uplifting building and successful business
hope to Santa Monica during the Great Depression.
44. Ocean Park Library, 1917-1918
2601 Main St.
The Ocean Park Library is one of the remaining branches of the Carnegie
Library operating in California. Designed by architects Kegly & Gerity,
is a variation of the Classical Revival design.
Carnegie Libraries were a turn-of-the-20th
Century innovation. A public library
movement had blossomed across the United States. Steel magnate Andrew
Carnegie retired in 1900 at age 65 and devoted the rest of his life to
In 1900, he established the Carnegie Library grants program. In total,
his Carnegie Corp. provided more than $41 million for 1,689 free public
library buildings in 1,419 communities around the United States.
The Carnegie grant was to be used to construct
the building, while the community
was expected to provide a site and to tax itself at the annual rate of
of the grant amount for the purchase of books and for staffing and upkeep
45. First Roy Jones House, 1894
2612 Main St.
Constructed for Santa Monica Civic leader Roy Jones, this is the earliest
known American Colonial Revival style design of Sumner P. Hunt. In the
late 19th Century, the renowned
architect Sumner P. Hunt built the home for Roy Jones, son of the founder
Monica, Sen. John Percival Jones. The Roy Jones Home is designed in a
transition from the elaborate Victorian Queen Anne Revival, to the simpler
American Colonial or Georgian Revival style. Once upon a time, Santa Monica
was a large ranch. It was purchased by Nevada Sen. John Percival Jones.
In 1895, he founded Santa Monica.
Originally located at 1007 Ocean Ave., the house was donated to the Heritage
Square Museum and moved to its present location in 1977. Don’t miss
the Sunday farmer’s market in the parking lot.
46. Third Street Historic District
Bound by Ocean Park Boulevard, Second, Hill and Third streets
Santa Monica’s first historic district consists of 38 buildings
constructed between 1875 and 1930. The neighborhood offers many of the
historical and architectural patterns
around the city. Many of the properties were once the homes of “persons
of significance” to Santa Monica.
Early on, the Third Street Historic District
was the “backyard” of the home of Mrs. Nancy A. Lucas, the
first Caucasian to own property in Ocean Park. Lucas arrived in 1874,
and purchased 861 acres just east of the ocean and south of what is today
Pico Boulevard for $11,000, or $14 per acre. The property at 237 Beach
St. was originally a farmhouse on her property. The house built by Moses
Hostetter in 1893, located at 2601 Second
St. (with adjoining properties on 236 and 242 Beach) still stands. It
is a single-family
residence with two rental units. There’s another Hostetter home
at 2623 Third St. Hostetter was a member of the Santa Monica Board of
Trustees between 1896 and 1900, as well as chairman of the police, fire
and light committees.
Another significant property in the neighborhood
is the Colonial Revival four-square with a hipped roof and clapboard siding
at 245 Hill St. It was built the late 1890s by Alvin Archer — founder
of Ocean Park’s first volunteer fire brigade — and his wife
Louetta, Ocean Park’s first postwoman.
For a complete list of the properties in
the historic district e-mail to
email@example.com or visit www.santa-monica.org.
47. Moses Hostetter House, 1893
2601 Second St.
Moses Hostetter was an Iowa farmer who migrated to Santa Monica in 1893.
He served on Santa Monica’s first Board of Trustees, and was chairman
of the police, fire and light committees. In 1893, he bought lots at what
are now 2547, 2601 and 2628 Second St.; 236, 237 and 242 Beach St. and
2623 Third St. for $45 each. Choosing to live next door to his son, he
built a home at 2601 Second St., the second oldest house in the Third
48. Methodist Episcopal Church,
2621 Second St.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church at 2621 Second St. is the fourth
oldest historic building still standing in the Third Street district and the original
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Santa Monica. The structure was originally
built at the corner of Arizona Avenue and Sixth Street in 1875, and was
moved to its Second Street location in 1900. In 1923, the Ocean Park congregation
built a new church (at what is now the site of the Church in Ocean Park)
and sold the building to the Stephen Jackson Women’s Relief Corps No. 124 of the Grand Army of the Republic, which held meetings
there until 1971, when it was sold to an individual as a private residence.
49. Parkhurst Building, 1927
185 Pier Ave.
National Register of Historic Places
This property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This
Spanish Colonial Revival statement has more to do with Venice’s
history than Santa Monica. It was constructed for Clinton G. Parkhurst,
the second to last mayor of Venice — before Venice became incorporated
into the city of Los Angeles. Designed by Norman Marsh of Marsh, Smith
and Powell; Marsh was responsible for the design of many of the prominent
structures in Venice, including the plans for its arcaded streets and
50. Craftsman-style Residence, 1913
502 Raymond Ave.
This property typifies residential development of the Ocean Park neighborhood
during the first quarter of the 20th Century. The main structure was added
in 1913; the guest house added in 1940.
51. Baxter Residence, 1907
2450 25th St.
This structure of merit is an intact example of American Foursquare style.
The American Foursquare or the Prairie Box was a post-Victorian style
common in the early 20th Century. Its boxy shape provided roomy interiors
for homes on small city lots. This property originally resided at 1140
52. Shotgun House, circa 1899
Santa Monica Airport
Shotgun houses were typically used as low-cost housing after the Civil
War through the 1920s. Each room in this narrow one-story dwelling without
halls is placed behind the other in single file. The style got its name
because if fired a shotgun through the front door, the shot would pass
through the lined-up doors of each room and out the back door.
53. Santa Monica Airport Rotating
Beacon Tower, 1928
Adjacent to 3223 Donald Douglas Loop
The Rotating Beacon Tower represents one of the earliest navigational
tools used in night flying. In the early air mail days of 1923, the Post
Office worked to complete a transcontinental airway of beacons on towers
spaced 15 to 25 miles apart, each with enough brightness, to be seen for
40 miles in clear weather. By June 1927, 4,121 miles of airways had lights.
By 1933, 18,000 miles of airway and 1,500 beacons were in place. This
tower was part of the Los Angeles national airway system and was moved
from its original installation in Downey in 1952.
3110 Main St.
A personal vote for a local structure of note would be the office plaza
Main St. The most noteworthy aspect of property, which houses the eatery
Schatzi, cigar emporium, is the mural of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger back in his
Terminator days and currently delights many local visitors. It has finally
into the Japanese tourist guides, along with Zuma J boardshop.
This series was originally written for the
Santa Monica Daily Press.
If you have stories to tell of early
Santa Monica and its property, share them with us. For your real estate
needs, e-mail Jodi Summers at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 310-260-8269.
A map of Santa Monica Landmark properties can be found
by clicking here.